Quick Exit

The Barnet Safeguarding Children Partnership

Private fostering

If a child is in immediate danger please call 999

What is private fostering?

Private fostering is when a child under 16 (or under 18 if disabled) is living with someone who is not a close relative for 28 days or more. This might be a friend, a great aunt, a cousin or someone else known to the child. A close relative is defined as a grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother or step-parent by marriage.

Many parents who have arranged for someone else to care for their child don't realise that they have entered into a private fostering arrangement when they have made informal arrangements with friends or extended family.

To keep vulnerable children safe and support families, by law parents and carers must notify their local authority if they have a private fostering arrangement in place.

There are many reasons why children are privately fostered. Such examples include:

  • Parental ill health.
  • Children or young people from overseas who visit this country for education or health care reasons.
  • Children or young people who are living with a friend/boyfriend/girlfriend's family as a result of parental separation, divorce or arguments at home.
  • Children or young people whose parents work or study long or anti-social hours.
  • Children or teenagers on school holiday exchanges that last more than 28 days.
  • Children or teenagers who are on sports or music sponsorships living away from their families. A parent or an agency, such as a college or sports academy, would normally make such an arrangement.

As a parent, what do I need to know about private fostering?

Even though this is a private arrangement, the law says that the local authority must ensure your child is safe and well cared for.

If you are thinking of placing your child in a private fostering arrangement, you must tell the local authority at least 6 weeks beforehand or in case of an emergency placement, within 48 hours of the placement beginning. If the arrangement has already started, you must contact Barnet Council immediately.

It is an offence not to inform the local authority about a private fostering arrangement.

What is the local authority responsible for?

The local authority works with parents, private foster carers, the child and anyone else involved in the arrangements, to ensure that everyone is aware of and understands their responsibilities.

They assess the private foster carer(s) and check that they and any other people living in their households are suitable to care for your child and that the place where your child will be staying is safe and of adequate standard. They can also give advice, training and help to the carer when needed.

For more information about private fostering and to notify the Council of a private fostering placement, please see online



Have your say...

Comments are closed for this article